Source Media provides market information including news, analysis, and insights to the financial services.
• Not access to photography
• Old CMS had technology limitations
DESIGN CHALLENGE: About three of their most high-profile websites (American Banker, Wall Street Journal, Financial News) lack design personality & look so outdated. From design standpoint, How do we improve these sites look & feel without doing a full site redesign?
MY DESIGN APPROACH & RECOMMENDATIONS:
• My CD and I agreed that we needed to do incremental enhancement to the styling of each site.
• So first thing I did was a design audit. I took screenshots of high level pages of each site: Homepage, Video page, and Slideshows Page & posted them on wall. This allowed me to easily find stylistic inconsistencies in navigation systems, page titles, article titles, carousels, pagination, iconography, sponsored content modules, and spacing misalignment.
• As I addressed these discrepancies I documented the enhancements in a style guide.
• Some high-level pages needed "some love" in terms of refining the page composition, interaction models, and usability. Ex: The problem with the Article page is that its title, editor's module, and social element are not placed in order of importance. So I designed multiple interfaces to solve for this.